10 Ways You Can Help Save Bradley Manning
19 August, 2010
I’m just one person, what can I do to help save Bradley Manning?
Our network is made up of people as well as organizations. Even if you are all on your own, there are many ways you can reach out in your community and beyond. Here are 10 ways people can get involved. Have other ideas? Leave them in the comments!
1. Write a letter to your representatives. Send a letter to your representatives in Congress and the President expressing your support for Bradley Manning and calling for his release.
2. Write a letter to the editor of your local newspaper. Explain that you and thousands of others believe that the Collateral Murder video belongs in the public domain and should never have been classified. If Bradley Manning did release that video, he was exposing war crimes and the charges against him should be dropped. You may be able to find your local newspapers’ contact information here.
3. Reach out to activist, government transparency, media reform and peace organizations in your community. Many of these organizations are already concerned about Bradley Manning. Ask them to pass resolutions in support for Bradley Manning and calling for his immediate release, and to let us know by emailing press at bradleymanning dot org.
4. Link to www.bradleymanning.org. Put links on websites, Twitter, Facebook, Myspace, blogs or anywhere else. In your own words, explain what we’re trying to do and why you think it’s important for everyone to stand up for Bradley Manning.
5. Organize a rally. The Bradley Manning Support Network is calling for individuals and activists internationally to organize rallies in defense of Bradley Manning on the weekend of September 18th. An effective rally needs just a few things: 1) A camera. Send the photos to press at bradleymanning dot org and we’ll get them on our website. 2) A few posters. Specifically state that you support Bradley Manning and call for his release. 3) Some people. Whether you are 3 people or 30,000, all that matters is that people know and care. If you rally on the weekend of September 18th, you’ll be joining thousands of other groups internationally showing their support for Bradley Manning. Let us know about your rally before it happens and we’ll promote it on our website. Email your announcement to press at bradleymanning dot org.
6. Volunteer. Your skills can make a difference. We need people writing articles, soliciting organizations for support, making YouTube videos, creating posters and working on our campaign. Visit www.bradleymanning.org/stay-in-touch/ to learn more.
7. Donate. The Bradley Manning defense fund, hosted by Courage to Resist, will be instrumental in this case. Every donation – even just $10 – can make a difference. Please visit www.couragetoresist.org/bradley or write a check to “Courage to Resist” and mail it to Courage to Resist, 484 Lake Park Ave #41, Oakland CA 94610. Make sure to note “Bradley Manning Defense” on the memo line.
8. Hold a whistleblower houseparty. Everyone likes to party, but why not use a gathering of friends as a way to spread awareness about Bradley Manning? Hand out whistles as party favors and collect donations for the Bradley Manning defense fund.
9. Organize a public viewing of the Collateral Murder video. You can find local theaters, coffee shops, art spaces or even private homes that might let you screen the video. Announce it on the Internet and in community calendars.
10. Talk to your friends and family. Many people still don’t know about Bradley Manning’s imprisonment. Others haven’t seen the Collateral Murder video. Show them the video, tell them about Bradley Manning and tell them why you believe in the campaign. Then ask them to join us.
Together, we can make a difference.